Shono - Hunters. Throat singing from the shores of Baikal (2016)
SHONO was founded in 2014 by Alexander Arhincheev. Alexander professionally performes Buryat legends and epics (uliger), masters several throat singing styles and skillfully plays the Buryat and Mongolian traditional instruments.
The spirit of the ancient rituals of Eurasian grasslands pervades the whole album, creating a unique atmosphere. Easily and naturally the musicians capture the attention of the listener throughout the album. Appropriately balanced against the background of traditional melodic heritage, rock-roll drive and rhythm put the group on a par with the best groups of the contemporary Siberian and Mongolian ethno-rock, such as Yat Kha, Namgar, Altan Urag etc.
SHONO’s new album, «Hunters» is a real gift for all fans of throat singing. Such styles as Khoomei and Eskheree (sygyt) can be heard in most songs, at times featuring simultaneous throatsinging by several members of the group.
in InRock magazine (Russian only): sketis-music.com/retsenzii/shono-jazzquad-interview
online magazine Jazz-square: sketis-music.com/retsenzii/shono-inrock-interview
1. Anguushad / Ангуушад / Hunters (Buryat traditional song)
2. Sayan uulin magtaal / Саяануллынмагтаал / Praise the Sayan Mountains (Buryat traditional song)
3. Ejel gansam ereere / Эжэлгансамерээре / Song of the Long-awaited Friend (song by B.Borohitova)
4. Galtai uula / Галтайуула / Fire Mountain (Buryat traditional song)
5. Sagdaa bukhemni erheleg / Сагдаабухэмниэрхэлэг / Song about the Warriors (instrumental)
6. Baigal dalai / Байгалдалай / Song about the Baikal (Buryat traditional song)
7.Khadin khursa nogoondo / Хадынхурсаногоондо / Mountain Grasses (Buryat traditional song)
8. Zulayash’e / Зулаяшье / Wedding Song (Buryat traditional song)
9. Ner’elge / Нэрьелгэ / Buryat Ritual Dance (Buryat traditional song)
10. Shono / Шоно / Wolf ( song by P.Petrov)